The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryAlterverse WikiFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:06 am

So like the Dyson vacuum cleaner of biological air pumps... A compression pump wouldn't work... so either you need multiple or take a couple nauts off make it multiple cilia lined tubes with valves to direction the flow. If the tubes gradually got smaller, therorhetically I suppose enough thrust could be made to lift and move a light creature at high speeds, and with a rider at medium speeds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 am

Lift isn't a problem - most airborne Novusvitan life makes use of methane-filled sacks. Smile

Continuous propoltion's the real issue. Your idea just gave me one. What about ripple-type movements of the tube (still getting thinner), sort of like sped-up gut contraction, that pushes the air toward the tiny exit?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alterverse.4umer.net
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Like an esophagus...? I suppose that would work now it would be pulses, but if fast enough would give propulsion.

I suppose this needs more investigating...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:40 am

Yap.

I can imagine that, if the ripple/pulse/contraction/things are fast enough (which would need a lot of energy, probably meaning that the flying creatures would eat a lot, which would also provide their floatation sacks with methane), it could create quite a powerful jet. Then, rudder-like wing-things on the creature would allow for stearing.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:39 am

I do believe we just finished the question in the thread... Soooo...

[Topic COMPLETE] 99.9%
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:56 am

Yay. 8D
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:46 am

Glad I could somewhat help...

Now... to look for something that needs to be thought of and I could help with...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Yay indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Just look around. There's bound to be things. Smile
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Full Name: Krikk Itwish
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:49 pm

Just saying, any and all theories presented here would require completely rebuilding a good deal of already existing creatures to be able to fit an esophagus-like mechanism while also having room for methane sacks that could feasibly lift the creature and its rider.

And also, after you get to the size of something like a cat, your sacks have to be incredibly large just to lift it. Something capable of holding a Xen'vi or human on its body, let alone lifting it, would need to be the size at least of a large dog and have methane sacks somewhere in the size vicinity of a small swimming pool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:15 pm

Simple explanation: Magic. :O
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:58 am

geekus_sapiens wrote:
Just saying, any and all theories presented here would require completely rebuilding a good deal of already existing creatures to be able to fit an esophagus-like mechanism while also having room for methane sacks that could feasibly lift the creature and its rider.

And also, after you get to the size of something like a cat, your sacks have to be incredibly large just to lift it. Something capable of holding a Xen'vi or human on its body, let alone lifting it, would need to be the size at least of a large dog and have methane sacks somewhere in the size vicinity of a small swimming pool.
Firstly, MOST flying Xen'vi creatures are called "floaters" for a reason. They came with sacks attached. And only those that came with jets attached have then, though a few of their jet orifices may need changing.

Secondly, we've already established that Novusvita's gravity is, well, lower than Earth's and the atmosphere is thicker. Plus propulsion + wing-thingies = lift also applies with creatures that are used as mounts.

Those do not include flyers such as the Sieran Vampire, which uses wing-beating for flight.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Full Name: Krikk Itwish
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:07 am

Okay. So change it from small swimming pool to a smaller small swimming pool.

Maybe two the size of bathtubs. At a stretch. Still pretty cumbersome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:12 am

Also, they'll be moving!

Is there any more boyant-in-air gas we can use?
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:03 am

Told you they needed lift...

Hydrogen Gas is the lightest gas... Just so you know.

Funny thing Element #1 is the lightest, and Element #0 is the heaviest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:03 am

*Googles Element #0*

Yeah, whatever.

Any way biological processes could produce hydrogen?
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:36 am

Lolz, Element zero is Neutronium. And consists entirely of Neutrons.

Well... All food contains hydrogen, and it would be produced because of it. But in small amounts. Water could theoretically be turned into Hydrogen with a catalyst(Lithium or another Akaline Metals [Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium), or bacterium. But Hydrogen atoms are so small they would escape slowly from any containment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 am

Well, I assume that feeding will allow for the lost hydrogen to be replaced.

Would those possible catalysts be found naturally in Novusvita's soil?
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:47 am

Potassium and Rubidium are found in nature and are absorb-able into ones body without poisoning occurring. Thought it would be in small amounts, (which is good, as both of them are very reactive with water.) The catalyst would create a large amount of Hydrogen gas fairly quickly, though we would have to be careful not to make it explode in a ball of fiery fire.

Potassium is found in Bananas and Potatoes (helps with cramps...). I think Rubidium might be found in the soil, in small amounts.

Though I may mention, breathing hydrogen is dangerous, it reacts with the air in your lungs and turns it into water... Which can kill you if exposed to large amounts.

And as you probably know Sodium is very poisonous. So is chlorine. So changing salt into Sodium isn't a good idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:16 am

Awesome.

Okay, we won't use salt.

Quote :
...though we would have to be careful not to make it explode in a ball of fiery fire...
So much potential!! 8D
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 am

Fire breathing Iga beasts :O
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:46 pm

... Too bad there are no guns hunh? No dragons, no Godzilla monstas, no crazy mutations of lizards... PLZ!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Screw around with the floaters so that you can use them as GRENADES THAT EXPLODE IN FIERY AWESOMENESS!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Now that I am OK with... as essential they are...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:18 am

Question: Would the hydrogen-filled floaters still combust in a carbon dioxide atmosphere?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   

Back to top Go down

The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next