The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryAlterverse WikiFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Transportation:

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Transportation:   Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:08 pm

This thread is about transportation. Duh.
The transportation of Goods, People, and Ideas. Jawhead Version.

Note: Most Information will be in the Post below.

I will update this as it is revealed. Eventually links will take you too the Wiki. (Once that is done that is.) Currently only the name will be put on here and a link to the post that explains it. (Yes I know how to do that.)
Earth Transport:
----Civilian:(Moves people from point A to point B.)
____Mass: Bus; Train;

____Singular: Car; Other

____Multi-Purpose: Military;

----Cargo:(Moves goods from point A to point B.)
____LAA: Large Transport; Medium Transport; Liquid Transport; Unstable Transport;

____LAA to Space: Space Elevator; LAAS;
----Specialized:(Moves ideas[info] from point A to point B.)
____Domain: The Internet; SlipStream Net;

____Comm: S2Spread; Short Range Radio(In Star System only.);

Space Transport:

----Civ:
____Mass: Colony Ships; Interplanetary Shuttle; Interstellar Shuttle;

____Singular: Light Personnel Transport; Emergency Escape Vehicle; Personal Star-craft.

____Multi: Earth Defense Ship; Colony Shuttle;

----Carg:
____Transport: Tug; Mining Vessel; Tractor Beam Carrier; Interstellar Transport;

----Spec:
____Comm: UHF-ULF Radio(System only); S2 Transmitter;

Colony Transport:

----Civ:
____Mass

____Singular:

____Multi

----Carg:
____Air:

____Air to Space:

----Spec:

Now Contribute, Speculate, Decide and Post! If this goes well, I will make another for the Xen'vi, and their respective clans. I will gladly Start this up, With Earth.

Last edited by Balufire on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:44 pm

First Post!!! Lolz

Most all transportation modes are able to go from land to air, then air to space, easily. This is achieved by advanced science I do not know...

Civilian "Car": These are much like current day cars, accept they are way more advanced and almost obsolete, they are fairly cheap and run off of Hydrogen Fuel Cells, they can go extremely fast on land, faster in Air, and most can go into SS space. They come in a variety of sizes from compact to "Hummer" to Cargo and Utility oriented.

Civilian "Other": Small almost pedestrian modes like the HoverWay (Segway), the Hover Bike, or the HoverScooter. (Hoverboards have been banned because People thought they were dangerous.)

Civilian "Bus": A bus much like current ones, and work the same way cars do, except they can carry almost a hundred Humans. They are not really fast, but they can go much faster than today's airplanes.

Civilian "Train": Long Maglev trains that can carry a small city's population on their mile or two length. They work much like todays maglevs, except they move three or four times faster and are carried aloft by Magnetic Loops. They must stay on these loops.

MultiPurpose "Military": Tanks, and troop transports come in a variety of types now from flying fighters that go into space, to walking tanks and floating transports. Powered by fairly experimental Slip Space Energy collectors.

Cargo "LAA": Land/Air/Aqua Transports have been around since the invention of the hoverdrive engine. They are powered by heavy duty Fuel Cells, and are capable of Moving almost unheard of loads by todays standards. These types are faster than their cousins but cannot move into space.

Cargo "Near Planet": These transports are like the LAA's Except they are slower and cannot lift as much, but these can go into space with their cargo and are air tight. They need gravity in order to work.

Information "The Enternet": Like todays, but it is global and covers the world with 14 satellites that spread the signal to everyone.

Info "SlipSpace Net": After they figured out how to get into SlipSpace they quickly found out how to use it to send out signals, Which are almost instantaneous. This covers the galaxy but can only be accessed at certain points.

Info "S2 Spread": Is a communication system covering Multi-way Phones, One way visuals (Tv to the 2nd power), and Other modes of Communication. Uses SlipSpace

Info "ShortRangeRadio (SRR)": The dinosaur of long range communication, it is only useful when in a range of the Sol system. Used for few things nowadays, backup in case the S2 spread fails or is down.

Space Transport

Civilian "Colony Ships": Transports large numbers of people, in the time before Slipstream they were Stasis ships. Now however because trips are much shorter, People are assigned small quarters for the duration of the ride.

Civilian "Interplanetary Shuttle": Exactly what the name implies, a shuttle that takes a medium size group of people to another planet in a system.

Last edited by Balufire on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:13 pm

Nice. I posted somewhere how space travel would work, but I can't remember where... I'll go look for it later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alterverse.4umer.net
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Full Name: Liekan Dajonvii A'Vi
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:10 am

I hardly expect us to have tanks anymore. Or any other similar land based vehicles. In fact just about any thing that isn't a missile or missile shooter will probably be obsolete.

Mass transport system will certainly replace cars, don't know how air flight will evolve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/LichenDragon
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:30 am

Like I said, cars are almost obsolete. You still need them for the most part, otherwise diseases will be rampant. "cars" are for the who are high class or need privacy.

I said Walking tanks, so I could form a picture in some ones mind with out explaining what it actually was. In my mind todays tanks will be gone quick, and armored personnel units would replace them, then Automated Attack Platforms replace them, and slowly Heavily Armored Assault Walkers will replace them.

To form Ideas in your mind what these look like:
The APU would look like those Suits in Avatar.
The AAP would look like Metal Gear relatives
and the HAAW which are now used look like a fusion of Metal Gear and Gundam.
HAAW have now replaced infantry for the most part. These have evolved at the end of every major world war.

All weapons today are now replaced with a cousin, and are made by various companies around the world. All Aerial units are obsolete, All Naval vessels are obsolete, All land units are obsolete. So you are correct Lichen, but not only Missiles, as they are expensive, but they are split into other weapons, none of which are propelled by explosives anymore.

Also, Air will be gone, as every bus/train can go over water and or fly in the air, most can go into the water and into space, and most trains connect various space elevators.

If anything is wrong with my futuristic speculation tell me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:02 am

Nope, nothings wrong yet. Wink
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:07 am

I say space elevators, space ships, and trains.

And missiles. Cause they'll destroy anything that's a target.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Unless you have point defense lasers.

Lets go through possible weapon systems
Missiles
Railguns Space only
Plasma Coilgun Space Only
Laser Beam
ElectroMagnetic Bomb
Mass Driver
Light Gas Gun
SlipSpace Impact cannon. Space only
Other Directed Energy Weapons (these depend on the device its self.)

And Pseudo-science weapons:
Quantum Vibration Beam (a Weapon that disrupts the Zero Point energy of molecules)
--No Name--(A weapon that removes molecular bonds turning things into their respective elements and massive amounts of energy) Space only, as it would destroy an entire planet/star/a significant chunk of the Galaxy if used on a black hole.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:50 am

The second one sounds scary.

Okay, I can't find that post, so here's the remake:

*Earth to IST* - Spaceport --> Space elevators or orbital vehicles --> IST.

*IST to Innersolar Bodies* - IST --> Spacecraft --> Space Station --> Spacecraft --> Spaceport on other innersolar body, normall not by means of a space elevator.

*IST to Extrasolar Bodies* - IST --> Spacecraft capable of slip-travel --> Slipspace entrance point somewhere above the solar horison --> Slipstream space --> Slipspace exit point somewhere above the solar horrison of destination solar system --> Spaceport on extrasolar body.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:29 pm

--No Name-- is a very nefarious weapon, so complex yet very very simple at what it does. You figure out a name... My names often are close to names of other devices. Which Violates copyrights...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:54 pm

How would it work in a blackhole and who the hell would design it? And didn't you guys say we didn't have many space weapons? I still find the loop holes in the scientists being unable to receive weapons troubling.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:06 pm

OK... One problem... What? Half of that sentence made no sense. What do you mean Loophole?

We will steal this technology from crazy twelve year old geniuses that are trying to better society. Those Psuedo-science ones are exactly that, Fringe science that is so crazy and impossible it could only be discovered by accident or by a crazy dude/teen.

I don't think those really qualify as weapons, yeah destructive, but mainly for defense against asteroids or other unknown dangers in space.

A black hole has near infinite Mass. Although the ship would be lost not only in getting to the black hole but after the launch of the beam. By turning the black hole into a collection of dust particle with a high mass, and about four or five time the amount of energy the star originally had. The resulting explosion would be catastrophic and its effects would be like that of a gamma ray burst. except in every direction not in a certain direction.

All of these would be very effective against asteroids, turning them into dust. Or Divert them. Or Take out non-existent hostile ships. Not all ships have these extremely powerful defenses, just precautionary for paranoid Captains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:27 am

Quote :
...we didn't have many space weapons...
WHAT!!??

I said the colonists have no weapons capable of waging war with... *Rolls Eyes*
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:11 pm

We did agree on taser-like guns though now that you mention non-lethals.

And that kind of weapon (the massive explosion one) would be impractical I think. Either you're so close you destroy your own planet or it's so far away that there probably much easier and less destructive methods even if it didn't get diverted from a collision course.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 pm

I did not say this. I said you could not use it anywhere but space because it would do this. It also has a very finite range, as it is multiple beams of --No Name--. For like large clusters of asteroids, not one big one. Like those frhiking loose material asteroids. One hit and it spreads through out.

By finite range I mean like just barely farther than the diameter of the Moon. These weapons are to the point that they are nearly perfected, but not yet implemented in the fleet that defends earth from unseen dangers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:51 pm

Oh. That's fine then.

I also fully approve then, but I wouldn't mind it if you could explain it in a way that wouldn't be misleading to some and ridiculous to others. I like my books H. G. Wells in how plausible they are.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:59 pm

H. G. Wells, Jules Verne, and That guy who's name eludes me. I can't remember that books name either... Oh well.

If you want to know more about it ask someone who knows himself, I am just running off of an Idea I thought of randomly. What we need is a name for it other than --No Name--

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 am

It's an interesting concept, but I don't see the developement of any such weapon likely in this future (mainly because it can seemingly only be used in space warfare, something which isn't happening).
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:45 pm

Ok, so... No --No Name-- ... Ok. The Idea of a planet buster is pretty overused any way. Gotta think outside the Cliche.

I will Update the list with Space transports in about a day. Takes me a while to think of plausible ways of this stuff to work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 am

Take into consideration my post on space transport on the previous page. Wink
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 pm

I will.

Updating in about five Minutes... Should be done in less than an hour unless I get distracted...

Edit: Actually another day. Internet problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Transportation:   Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:41 am

Ah, okay.
Back to top Go down