The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryAlterverse WikiFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LichenDragon
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name: Liekan Dajonvii A'Vi
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:55 pm

We have three life groups.

I believe that the two most suited to parasitically or predatorly attacking other species as microscopic invaders are Liquiphita and Imperia. While I know little on the sub-groups of Imperia but I must assume that there are microbes. Liquihpita are practically going to be a majority of microscopic considering their anatomy.

Minerallites I've deemed to be relatively slow metabolism organisms and probably aren't suit for rapid invasions and hostile take overs of hosts or prey. There for they're suited to a role most of symbiotic or passive relationships. But I can very much forsee them living on and feeding off of the tissues of other organisms from the outside. (Like carnivorous Lichens or Moss.)

Liquiphita most likely make for good parasitical, communist and symbiotic relationships because of their likely virus like reproduction methods.

Imperia is a gray area here. But they'd probably work as Earth bacteria and protozoans.

Other would be simply the question, are there Viruses on Novuvsita, and how do Prions interact with the organisms and how prevalent are they?

As the main purpose of the topic I'd like the brainstorm some diseases and ailments that might be encountered on Novuvsita, as with all my posts anything TV wants changed, deleted or make into holy script will follow his wishes:

Imperia:

Pathogen-1, Minor infection prevalent throughout Novuvsita and can be carried by most Duosisida. In some cases of weak patients a slow degeneration which will exponentially increase in rate will occur unless treated.

Pathogen-2, Found in Xen'Vi and infects voice boxes, causes loss of voice and can leave victim bed ridden but rarely kills. Voice often returns in a week of destroying the infection except in extreme cases.

Pathogen-3, Prevalent in the civilized area of Novuvsita this disease leads to rapid degeneration of muscle tissue and can kill in 3-10 after infection, transmitted by bodily fluids and is a constant threat to Xen'Vi, though the number of Immune are great.

Pathogen-4, Common across much of the tropical Novuvsita regions this unicellular Imperia will often collect into thin strands to hang from leaves and branches till some larger species blunders into them. The Imperia will move through the blood stream as soon as they find an opening till they reach major nerve areas including the brain and antennae. They will feed off these till the host dies of nervous system failure.

Pathogen-5, Spread throughout the Tropical Equatorial lands this Imperia comes in several distinct forms throughout the areas. While most forms are mild and are often almost of a pleasure to infected if not for the terrible migraines of the aftermath. In New America though the Imperia will rapidly infect and attack a host's brain after entering through the lungs. It causes hallucinations and delirious effects on the Xen'Vi. These are often pleasurable and could be compared to methamphetamines. The main danger to the infected's life is self injury but can be killed by the Imperia overproducing the chemicals that cause the drugged effect. Once the infection has passed the victim often has permanent brain damage and mental illness.

Pathogen-6, Found across most of Nonvuvsita this Imperia causes everything from minor flu-like symptoms to rapid death by fluid in the lungs. It varies greatly due to age, prior health and living conditions. Not to mention treatment.

Liquiphita:

Pathogen-1, Ingested infects gestational track and causes violent vomiting and diarrhea. Death only occurs when the infected is not supplied adequate water to replaced that which is lost. Prevalent in northern Hemisphere.

Pathogen-2, Attacks the horse thingies and works way from the point of infection, (usually a cut), using the blood stream throughout the body feeding off the nutrients. Once the animal is overrun by toxins it produces the Liquiphite will be spready around by scavenging animals, often to infect those when the animals are scratched in the tussles for the carcass. Generally doesn't have harmful effects if ingested because of digestive acids.

Pathogen-3, Found around the desert oasis's and streams of the Jay'Vi aridlands this Liquiphite travels solely in the mouths of tiny gnat-like Imperia which stab into and feed off the blood of larger animals. The Liquiphite is transferred much like Earthen Malaria or Yellow Fever. It will rapidly convert the host's tissues to its own advantage and will grow and collect in masses throughout the body till it finally overruns the major organs and the host succumbs. Lumps and paleness are common visible symptoms. Most natives have developed strong resistance to the Liquiphite but it plagues foreigners. In 2145 it attacked an invading army of Svia'Vi marching along Jay'Vi coastal marches and all but wiped out the force. Of 6000 Svia'Vi only 750 returned home.

Mineralittes:

Pathogen-1, Infects large animals in central Novuvsita where it leaches nutrients and mineral from the host while growing in hard to scratch areas.

Pathogen-2, Found in cave ecosystems these Mineralittes are absorbed through the lungs where they travel by blood stream and form gallstones which will lead to clotting and death to 50% of victims.

If anyone has more suggestions, please add them.

Last edited by LichenDragon on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:48 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/LichenDragon
Galactic conquerer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:56 am

This may seem to weird but....
A virus/protozoan that when enters the body it infects the creatures bones and eats it's bone marrow?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:12 am

Do Xen'vi have bone marrow?

We could have some pathogen that affects their electro-antenna in some way. And maybe one that causes them to go blind in some if not all of their eyes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frog_Empire
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:15 am

Disease[s] that the humans bring with them? Maybe?

I can't think of any examples at the moment but... just an idea...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:17 am

I don't think that human diseases would affect Xen'vi, or the other way around. I think Dudeman confirmed this somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:27 am

Nice, but I'm not sure you entirely understand the anotomies of Liquiphites.

The structure of the average Liquiphite is millions of tiny organalle-like thingies floating around in a liquid / semi-liquid vestage. The liquid itself has no life to it.

There isn't really a difference between growing and reproducing for liquiphites. The organelly things just divide and more fluid is produces.

The best way to spread an infection, I think, is either to lie dormant within the boddies of prey items or parasites or by being accidentally drunk or otherwise consumed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alterverse.4umer.net
Galactic conquerer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Yeah, like maybe in dead carcasses so scavengers eat it and get infected.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Probably that too. What I basically meant with the prey items is that the living host of the organism is killed and eaten by a predator, thus the Liquiphite is transfered to the predator. Of course, the prey item would die from the infection by itself after a while anyway, which makes your carcass thing completely valid.

With the parasite carying the Liquiphite, think of mosquitos and malaria. Just replace the mozzy with whatever exo parasitic preseumably-bloodsucker you want and the malaria with the Liquiphite.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Okay, I guess the liquihpites are a good bit like viruses in a way, being completely passive to what their surroundings cause. I'll update soon.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Removed your double post. Wink

Anywho, yeah. I guess so.

I've also got a couple of new pathogen ideas:

-Imperia:
  • A unicellular organism carried by tiny mosquito-like parasites that causes a methamphetamine-like effect on infected Xen'vi. The first become really high, then start to hallusinate, loose much of their co-ordination and eventually suffers from extreme demensia, often ending with them taking their own lives, usually by accident. If they survive the last fase, they can escape from it with mild brain damage. Found mainly in the tropical regions of New America.
  • A mold whose spores can cause severe pneumonia when inhaled and sometimes cause death by an inability to breath. They are found in temporate regions and can easily be cured with the right medicine: A yet undetermined fluid which is applied through the breathing slits.

-Liquiphita:
  • A very primitive species that often make their way into running water. When ingested, the body heat of whichever creature ingested it stimulates growth. It basically super thickens the creature's blood and so leads to blood and heart-related problems and can understandably cause death it the body's natural defences doesn't kill it in time. Found mainly in the Far South.

-Minerallia:
  • Like the previous thing, this organism must be ingested (or inhaled). Because its a minerallite, it naturally uses all minerals it can get at to build itself. You can imagine what this means for the creature's bloodstream, as it slowly solidifies using the body's mineral content. It is very hard to treat and usually causes death in a few months. They are rare, but pften found in dusty caves or mines.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks, I'lll update this soon, don't know exactly when, but soon. And I like all of those.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:30 am

Thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

What about my ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Oh, sorry, I like all of your ideas.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:25 am

Yay. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:52 am

And about the bone marrow thing on the post I missed, I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:03 pm

No?
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:20 pm

You don't think so?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:33 am

Do they need bone marrow? Can't something else do whatever marrow does?
Back to top Go down
Galactic conquerer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 am

Well not bone marrow, but somthing like it. Maybe another fluid?
Bone marrow produices new red blood cells and fills the interior of the bones. Without any fluid in the bones, they would just fall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Full Name: Krikk Itwish
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:36 am

They could have something else to do what bond marrow does, but that's the whole reason why leukemia is so deadly. There is nothing in human physiology to do what bone marrow was made to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 am

I think red blood cell-like things would realistically be formed somewhere else in the body because of improbable co-insidence. Some or other fluid in the bones is probably realistic, though.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:09 am

I'll be updating the thread.

Are there any virus like thingies on Novuvsita? And how do prions interact with lifeforms? And will the human diseases effect the Xen'Vi? There's no possible way to keep bacteria from crossing in the spaceship to Novuvsita.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:52 am

Human disceases have no effect on any part of the Xen'vi biosphere and vice-versa due to completely different cellular and genetic structures. Eg. Earth viri really can't do anything to Novusvitan cells because they can't do anything with the alien DNA and stuff.

Well, some pathogenic entities may effect the alien/native species, but probably not in the same way that it would effect the species that evolved in its native planet, due to the aforementioned DNA differences.

On that note, I think Xen'vi and the like would have TNA (trioxyribonucleic acid). Probably not, though. It's just that their DNA is tripple helix with a non-ring shaped extended patern - It's more like a string curling around itself.

And I can't really answer your question on prions. My mind hasn't really touched them yet.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:45 pm

And what of viruses?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms   

Back to top Go down

Pathogenic, Singled Celled and Microscopic LifeForms THat Target Other Organisms
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next