The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryAlterverse WikiFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Book I - The Novelist

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Book I - The Novelist   Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:43 am

Here I want us to discuss, among other things, how to make the book a smooth read despite the various stories, and how those stories will fit into the book.

Below, I'll gradually figure each of the storylines that'll feature in the first book.

The Novelist

"The Novelist" will be at the core of at least the first nine Alterverse novels and will exclusively be the point of view of Heather Abercrombie, a novelist who writes pretty much all the other stories from dreams she has. In the first book, also called "The Novelist", she pretty much just leads a normal life. I know what I want from her story in the later books, but I really have no idea how to end this first part of her story. The Novelist will be divided into short segments throughout the book wherein Heather will partly comment on events happening in "her" stories. The Novelist will only really start getting interesting from the third book and on, but I still want to end her story in the first book on an interesting note, such as a revelation or a cliff-hanger.

The Peoples of Algol, Book I: The Prophecy - Part 1

Eh, there's a separate thread for this already. Basically, it's Chapters 1 to 4 from TPoA Book I (though they won't be divided as such in the Alterverse book).

Breakdown, Book I: Outbreak - Part 1

Well, the whole of Breakdown's first book is essentially about A) a group of G3 infected New Yorkers who need to reach a safe house in Crucible where help will apparently be waiting and B) a group of survivors in London (though the story starts when the outbreak just began, this second story starts with a plan carrying a G2 infected guy crashing into Heathrow Airport) trying to make their way to a safer place, but unfortunately becomes tangled up in the whole conspiracy thing I spoke about in some thread in Breakdown's section. With the first group's story in The Novelist, the ending will likely be a first encounter with either (or both) Patient Zero and/or FASE soldiers (the latter of which would attempt to kill them), as well as the realization that the zombie apocalypse is happening. It'll also only be at the end of this part that they'll realize their bodies are changing. As for the second group, their story in The Novelist will basically be a struggle to get the hell out of London (due to the zombies and pandemonium and stuff) and will end with them breaking through a government blockade or something, or perhaps even being rescued via airlift (we still have to discuss how authorities would deal with a the situation).

SPIRE, Book I: White Light - Part 1

SPIRE mainly follows the story of Gabriel Greene, a near-homeless waiter with some weak psychic abilities who is recruited by the Brittish branch of SPIRE (Supernatural and Paranormal Investigation and Research Establishment). In The Novelist, Gabriel will go about everyday life, attempting to scrape a living, when he'll suddenly be visited by a quirky old man who warns him to keep his guard up. He'll soon become aware he's been/being followed and, understandably, paranoia will set in. At the end of this part of his story, SPIRE would have successfully captured him and I'll probably end it where he meets the leader of SPIRE's Brittish branch. Since I kinda wanna have two main starting story lines for each main story arch, I added the following to The Novelist's prologue after mentioning Gabriel: "Half a world away, an intelligent girl on holiday in the Sates finds herself before a man claiming to be a sorcerer". No idea what that story will entail, though.

Wretches and Kings, Book I: The Overture - Part 1

Wretches and Kings follows Keith Thompson, a cop during the Extinction Period (specifically 2116), who discovers the well hidden corruption and injustice of the government and chooses to fight against it. During begins figuring it out during the first book and, when he starts asking too many questions, is supposedly assassinated (a bomb his placed in his bike). He survives, however, and awakens as a cyborg. I'm thinking I'll "kill" him at the end of his part in The Novelist. In the next book, he'll wake up as the cyborg at some obscure doctor-person's place and refused freedom to leave. Eventually (this still being Wretches and Kings Book I, but part 2) he'll manage to "escape", but will find his old life gone (passwords revoked; etc.) and his fiance mourning his death (he'll later realise that the government tried to kill him because he was close to discovering one of their great secrets). The second story line will be that of a gamer that utilizes full-consciousness-immersion virtual reality. At some stage in his story, players will suddenly be unable to log out of the game due to a glitch (which will include dying in the game killing the player in real life (due to their consciousnesses being fully transferred into the game, while their real-world bodies are comatose and disconnected from the game, due to the glitch)). He and a group of players will then have to survive in the game world (which will also gradually become heavily corrupted) until finally either being freed back into their real bodies or even finding a way out of the game world as programs (or both for various surviving players, in which case I'll probably give him the latter, while the person who became his significant other in the game wakes up again). I'm pretty sure I'll do this all in the first book (in other words, the first three Alterverse books), but then as early as the end of Part 1, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened yet (them being unable to log out due to no longer being connected to their real-world bodies), in which case I have very little idea how to end it (perhaps I could simply end it with some epic boss battle in the game, but then one of the players who died in the fight doesn't respawn, nor are they contactable; then I'll reveal that they can't log out).

Panenthea, Book I: A Space Tale - Part 1

Panenthea takes place a few hundred years after TPoA (roughly a thousand years from now) and stars a deviant human space pirate, and Priantos' great-great-great-(etc.) granddaughter. I still have very little idea how this story will go, but I expect an inter-galactic war to arise, The Watcher's Jaylen component to make an appearance, and the Shadow to make a come-back.

The Peoples of Algol: The Slum Boy of Valdin

Every Alterverse book will contain somewhat of a short(ish) story (well, actually a story that I initially intended to write as a novel, but didn't split into three bits or really include in a series because it wasn't that important). The Novelist's short-ish story is about Priantos' past. No need to figure out where it'll end for the sequel, as it won't continue in any of the other Alterverse books.

Scope
[Haven't made it a timeline key yet]
Like The Novelist, Scope will appear in at least each of the first nine Alterverse books and is basically the Watcher's point of view (it's called "Scope" because the Watcher observes everything (that's relevant)). However, as I want to keep the Watcher as mysterious as possible for as long as possible, I'm really not sure what to include in Scope this early in the series. I'm pretty sure I know how to write it, though, and that is as a series of (mainly) hyper-objective observations (for example: "Subject appears to have developed a liking for prune juice", but, you know, relevant stuff).

Aaaand, that's it for now.

Last edited by TemporalV01D on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alterverse.4umer.net
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 am

How exactly are we going to go about having all the books in one book, though? Like, how are they going to mesh together. And how will the readers keep track of all the plot lines at once?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:35 am

Basically what I'll do is jump around the stories pretty regularly, yet keep with one story long enough so that the reader will hopefully be able to keep track of it. Heather will also be a great help, in that she will reflect upon events in stories - including where the left off and where they resume again - between many of the storyline switches.

Heather will also be the main link between the stories, as she dreams them all. Then there's the Watcher, of course, which I want to have a sighting of in each of the stories, save The Novelist and The Slum Boy of Valdin. Then, Wretches and Kings, TPoA and Panenthea all take place in the same time line, so I can reference events or elements in the stories that took place in the past of other stories in said other stories.

There'll also now be a time line key at the start of each story segment to give the reader a good idea of how the story fits in chronologically with the others (I'll post them on the OP momentarily).
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:55 am

Okey. What exactly does she all lead up to? What's with the dreams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Right. Prepare for a massive amount of spoilers.

So, in the process of the Watcher's creation, he goes on an accidental time-travel spree. One of the times he jumps too is our present, where he happens to land in Heather's apartment. What happens next is still pretty open. Basically there are two options: either the Watcher leaves almost immediately afterwards, then later return to wipe her memory of the event, or he'll be too weak to leave just yet and Heather will attempt to look after him. SPIRE will then descend upon her home, having gotten a disturbance on one of their weird sci-fi instruments, and she'll go on the run with the Watcher, until SPIRE (who'll just appear to be government agents), corners them, at which point the Watcher will disappear. SPIRE will then have apprehended and hypnotically interrogated her, after which they'd wipe her memory of the event and let her resume her life. In either event, Heather had some prior interaction with the Watcher that was wiped from her memory.

Since then she's been having the dreams. At first they were very muddled and confusing (due to the Watcher still "developing"), but later became clearer. The stories she currently dreams of are actually the Watcher observing them unfold, looking for something that will be clear at the end of each respective story.

Anyway, as she dreams the stories she also writes them, generally waking up in the middle of the night to make notes. This soon leads to problems at work (she's a journalist) due to sleep deprivation. As she also doesn't know where each story is going - just watching them as they unfold - she can become affected by what happens. For example, when she dreams about something traumatic happening in one of the stories, she'll wake up in shock. She'll also unwillingly become emotionally invested in the characters and will fear for their lives in real life and experience depressive symptoms when they die. This behaviour, given that those characters are supposed to be fictional, will eventually lead her fiance, Blake, to seek her psychiatric help.

SPIRE will also come back into her life (or just come into her life, depending on which of the two scenarios in the first paragraph (about the Watcher) we choose). I'm thinking either Heather's decline in mental health would have come to SPIRE's attention (assuming they'd be monitoring her after what happened with the Watcher), or she'll perhaps publish something that mentions SPIRE that will make them want to know how she knew of their existence. Either way, SPIRE will try to get her to come with them (but she probably wouldn't know it's SPIRE, given that she herself will believe her writings to be fictional), which will make her go on the run in order to escape these government agents (something will have to have made her this paranoid). Eventually, though, (after she spends a book or so writing in hiding), they'll find her and she'll meet the head of SPIRE, which will confirm that her dreams aren't purely fictional.

While with SPIRE, she'll learn just how true much of her dreams were, and even meet a future Gabriel (Gabriel being the main character of SPIRE) and possibly one or two Breakdown characters as well. The rest will pretty much be an intro to AEGIS Watch, which will encompass the final three books of the series (after the other main stories have all finished), and wherein Heather will be the main protagonist.

I also want her to meet the Watcher at some point.

So yeah, that's pretty much it.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Oooh. That sounds like fun. I think the Watcher sounds neat. How often does he show up in the story?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Often, but very briefly (except later in the series). Also, Heather's encounter with the Watcher will be told as part of the Watcher's origin story as the 11th book's short story.

Oh, and which do you prefer: the Watcher just appearing to Heather and then leaving, of the Watcher appearing and then being pursued by SPIRE? The latter could add more story (Heather trying to unlock this missing memory of hers).
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Hmm. I have no idea. The extra bit of story would be nice, so long as it's not too random and unexpected when it's revealed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:35 am

I think I'll go with the one involving SPIRE from the beginning.

I've told you what SPIRE is, right?
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:48 am

Kinda sorta ish?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:03 pm

So... Need I elaborate?

Edit: Okay, SPIRE stands for "Supernatural and Paranormal Investigation and Research Establishment" (or something similar) and is basically an international organisation tasked with both investigating the very fringe bits of reality and also keeping it under wraps. This includes evidence of Jaylen activity on Earth, historical evidence for what's pretty much magic, spectral activities, freaky space-time disturbances and modern-day psychics. The latter is the main focus of the SPIRE story arch. Now they're an international organisation of top confidentiality in the few circles that know about their existence and are based globally. I'm not entirely sure how they function yet, but they're run by a few obscure, massively rich people, as well as some in some of the world's national security and science departments. They have their own specially chosen science team and task force / response team and are pretty much omniscient, monitoring the whole world with a mass of supercomputers with input from every communications and security system on the globe. As they exist in the present, they'll appear in The Novelist (Heather's story), SPIRE and even Breakdown.

Any questions?
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Book I - The Novelist   Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Nope, that about sums it up.
Back to top Go down