The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryAlterverse WikiFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

[No Title]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Frog_Empire
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: [No Title]   Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:29 am

Maybe it could be a supplement or just a fanfic or whatever. I'm not even entirely sure where it's going yet but here it is:

Chapter One
Darwin

2251 AD

I awake.

I lean forwards, my back aches from having slept on the hard station beds. They plainly weren’t built for comfort. Through the resolute dark of the room, the ticking of the old-style analogue clock on the wall gained my attention. The time, what’s the time? Standing from the bed, I trigger the motion-sensitive lights, flooding the room with light and colour too much for my eyes to adjust quickly enough.

Squinting, I check the time. Realising there are only ten minutes until my ship leaves, I open the doors of the room, pull the pamphlet I was given upon arriving out of my pocket and check the map on it to see how to get to the ship. Head down, following the map, I walk quickly through the long, white corridors of the station.

Reaching my destination, I hold up my identity card, the security guard at the door scans it and approves my entry. The door slides open, revealing the inside of the ship where everyone else is already buckled in and ready. “Sorry I’m late. Slept in.” I apologise, taking a seat and strapping myself in. “Don’t worry. You’re not the only one who’s overslept, it seems. We’re still waiting for one more.” The captain says.

A few minutes of waiting and he arrives. The seats are arranged in two parallel rows along the sides of the ship, in pairs. The only empty seat was the one next to me, so I turned around and conversed with the person behind me. He seemed like a nice chap. An ex-soldier, quit soldiering for the UEF, lived happily for a few years with his wife and kids, but eventually began to run out of money, so now he has taken up this job as a guard. The latecomer sits down next to me without a word.

The captain waits a moment for the latecomer to strap in then announces “Everyone ready? Good. Let’s do this.” The airlock doors between this vessel and the space station close. Machinery clanks and squeaks as the ship disconnects. Then, free flying, the captain takes the ship a safe distance into empty space, and activates the Slipdrive. The engines cease and the on board SlipSpace navigations systems kick into action, already beginning to calculate the rout before the ship has even entered SlipSpace. The humming of the drive intensifies as it charges, steadily closing in on the amount of power required to rip a hole in reality. Then silence.
Looking out the windows, the crew stares directly into SlipSpace. Directly into the void, for SlipSpace has no matter, only pure energy. There is nothing to see outside but a darkness so deep it is said that it can consume a man’s soul. A more pure darkness then any of the crew had ever seen. Of course, the crew quickly tires of staring at nothing and starts talking amongst themselves.

Shaking hands with the man sitting next to me, I introduce myself, “Hello, I’m Daniel O’Ryan, Extraterrestrial Relations Expert. I know more than any other about the culture and customs of the Xen’ij. What about you?”

“David Tanner, Head of Security, Weapons Expert, served in Antarctic Conflict…”

“I’ve never heard of the Antarctic Conflict.”

“Not many people have. There were still border disputes in Antarctica, not long ago, and diplomacy was failing. Rising tensions lead to the nations involved calling in military forces. The Federation sent in it’s own force to try to keep the peace but when that failed…”

Tanner spoke in a straightforward manner. He seemed very tidy, very disciplined. He’d be the last person I’d expect to have been late.

“…When we failed to keep the peace, skirmishes broke out across the territories of the nations involved. Only the weather and the remoteness kept it from erupting into a proper war. Eventually, however we managed to resolve the conflict through diplomacy before too much blood was spilt. Funny thing, sending in soldiers to negotiate peace.”

“I suppose they had no better use for you seeing as there are no other wars for you to fight in.”

“Hah. I suppose you’re right.”

All the conversation among the passengers of the ship was interrupted by the captain’s announcement, “We’re leaving SlipSpace, there will be turbulence, so hold onto something and if you get sick try to hold it in until we land.”

True to the captain’s word, the ship begins to shake violently. Looking out the window to my left I observe as the pitch black of SlipSpace gradually fades into normal space. Looking out at the stars and the darkness between them now it seems it’s so much brighter than I’ve ever noticed before.

Atmospheric entry was far more stable than I had always imagined it. We land outside the Darwin colony. Normally the landing pad would have been a perfectly suitable place for us to land but it’s already in use so we’ll have a bit of a walk among the wildlife of Novusvita.

Strange thing. When I was a child, I had always dreamed of stepping foot on alien soil, meeting real aliens. Our own planet was never enough for me I guess. Most likely why I became so engrossed in my research of the Xen’ij. You see, the Xen’ij are the original owners of this planet, Novisvita. They are the sentient alien race that has achieved dominance over the planet through the use of tools. They form tribes, naturally, and quite a few of those tribes have become towns. And some of those towns have industrialised.

Much like Earth once was, this planet is wrought with war. The Xen’ij clans and nations are at each other’s throats in their extremely turbulent political climate.

Everyone unbuckled themselves and stood from their seats.

“Just in case you don’t know, the atmosphere of this planet is not suitable for us humans. You must wear a protective suit at all times when outside the colony. Inside the colony, however, it is fine to take it off.” The captain announced, pointing us towards the compartment in which these suits were stored.

“One at a time now, please.”

We lined up, grabbed our suits and put them on according to the instruction boards on either side of the ship. Then, the captain double-checking everyone was ready, opened the ship doors.

~~

Everyone moves out slowly, taking in the scene around them, bewildered and amazed, all of them taking their first steps on alien soil, whether they realize it or not. Everyone except one man. Brown, straight, short hair, brown eyes, strong build. There was something about him that seemed… ignorant, stupid perhaps. Maybe it was the way he blundered about, occasionally bumping into things or people, maybe it’s the way he couldn’t care less about being on a guest on foreign soil. Beyond doubt, he’s one of the marines under David’s command.

The brute pushed his way to the front of the group. He opens his mouth to say something, presumably to tell the group to hurry the hell up, when the captain beats him to it.

“As amazing as the view is, we’d better get a move on. They’ll be expecting us at Darwin, best not be late.”

And he isn’t exaggerating, nor being sarcastic, the view is amazing. We had landed on a broad hill looking over lush flat grassland, the Darwin colony in view no more then one kilometer away. On the right facing the colony is a large overgrown swampy area with the silhouettes of mountains barely visible in the distance, surrounded in an eerie mist. The flat grassland stretches out to the left, turning into hilly terrain travelling into the distance, meeting with the setting suns on the horizon. There is one sun, half visible, the other half under the horizon, and another sun half it’s size above and to its right and strangely, not a single animal in sight.

~~

“Welcome, Captain, I hope your journey was well. As you well know, SlipSpace is a relatively new technology, perhaps equally as unpredictable and, potentially, dangerous as the SlipStream technology used to get here by the original colonists back then.”

The Captain greets the Manager with a friendly hug, and the guards show the rest of us around the colony. It had changed so much – grown so huge during the last few decades. It is quite amazing, over 10 000 residents at current estimate, and thousands more passing in and out each day.

~~

Following our orientation we are each shown to our rooms in the colony. They are small, but private and the beds are fairly comfortable. The lights are controlled with old-style switches rather than the modern motion-sensitive and voice-controlled lights.

I unpack and lie on the bed, eventually falling asleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: [No Title]   Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:18 am

Hmm... Will read the whole thing later. I can tell you the tech isn't exactly of the time, but meh.

By the way, FROGYOU'REBACKOMG!!! 8D
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alterverse.4umer.net
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: [No Title]   Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:23 am

Ohai Frog. Hi. Hello!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frog_Empire
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: [No Title]   Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:12 am

Hello everyone
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: [No Title]   Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:05 am

Mhm, the tech is a bit behind, and I can see you didn't get the memo with the new Xen'vi names. Zen'ji. Overall it's pretty neat and I'd like to see where you go with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: [No Title]   Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:09 am

Agreed.

The topic with the new names is in the Language section, I think...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alterverse.4umer.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [No Title]   

Back to top Go down

[No Title]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1