The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryAlterverse WikiFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Well, I really got into Tolkien's Arda legendarium recently (again), and I'd like to see a simmilar history for Novusvita (minus all the fantasy).

Basically, let's think of interesting stories and events that could've occured in the world's past (anywhere between the Xen'vi's emergeance and humans' arrival on the planet). Forget about actual history for now. We can work on fitting whatever we come up with into the canonnical past later.

Edit: I finished this yesterday. It's an animated map showing the progression, rise and fall of every Xen'vi nation ever, from their emergeance to the first few decades of the fifth age (note that, while the initial time between frames could be as much as few centuries, the time bwteen the last few frames could be as little as a few years. I intend for the time between to have a uniform decrease, though, which I'll work out properly later. For now, let's say the initial time between the frames is about 500 years and the end time is about 5 years. The world map of the first book's period is the second last frame of the Fourth Age, just before Iga takes over almost the whole planet):

Click to View:

Key:

Last edited by TemporalV01D on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:13 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alterverse.4umer.net
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:49 am

Oh snap, didn't notice this thread. lol.

I'll try to think of some stories. I have no ideas at the moment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:36 am

Some spntaneous ideas:

Spoiler:

Last edited by TemporalV01D on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:15 am

Um... Ideas...

Like... erm...

Hmm....

No ideas. Derp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:56 am

Uh... Did you open the spoiler thingie? I meant "I have come up with some spontaneous ideas, which are listed below in the spoiler tags". I put them in spoiler tags 'cause they contain some spoiler-ish things.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:00 am

Yes, yes, I read them. They all sound good. I just have no ideas to add. And mountain dwarf Xena Xen'vi sound good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks. Only they're not actually short. They're just very simmilar to Tolkien's mountain dwarves in culture and architecture and lifestyle and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Sounds cool anyway. Before you said no Xen'vi live in Xena. Perhaps something happened that made Xena inhospitable and killed off the mountain Xen'vi, and now no Xen'vi live there anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:13 am

Uh... I did??? Shocked That must have been before I came up with those last three nations (the Tita'vi, Col'tun'vi and Qui'a'vi). Because the Qui'a'vi live in the vast majority of Xena.

By the way, the name "Xena" is derived from "Xen" meaning "world", as the first Xen'vi didn't realise there was more to the world than their continent of origin (this was before they invented boats). "Xen'vi", then, means "world people" or, more precisely, "people of the world".

I'll try posting rough maps of the "nations of old" later today.

I've also identified four "ages" (for lack of a better term) in Xen'vi history:
-First age - Xen'vi were only in Xena and weren't aware of the rest of the world. The Jaylen were present during this time and were found at four locations on Xena - Baal, Red Mountain (Novusvita's highest peak, thought to be in the middle of the world by the early Xen'vi. I'm thinking of changing the same to something that reflects that better) and two lesser "sacred" locations. I haven't really decided how this age ended yet, but my current quess is that it somehow had to do with the rise of the Shadow and maybe the destruction of Baal and/or the eruption of Red Mountain.
-Second age - Xen'vi had discovered sea travel but still had a pretty compact world, affraid to wander into what they called the "Forbidden Sea" which they thought surrounded their world (I'll post a map of this later). Before the end of the age they managed to travel past the Pillars of Sevari, though. The most rofound events of this time was those of the War of Shadow. The age ended with the Shadow's defeat and the dissaparance of the Jaylen.
-Third Age - by the end of the third age, the world had basically been explored and the world saw the rise and eventual fall of the uber-great Aka'vi nation (more about them below). This age ended with the eruption of the Akavir supervolcano and the fall of the Aka'vi.
-Forth Age - where we find ourselves now. The nations as we know them today took their shape in this time. This age will end with the end of the final events of the third novel of The Peoples of Algol.

The Aka'vi were a very advanced people, mainly in architecture and travel. They built some of the most astounding cities, monuments and other structures - mainly of stone - the world had ever seen. The ruins of these pop up almost everywhere, as they had ruled nearly two thirds of the planet at their height. Many have theorised that they built the ruins of Jin, Baal and Kij.

Their fall came for two reasons: firstly the nation became simply too large to govern as a whole so it split into a number of smaller unified states. Secondly, their capitol city in Akavir was completely destroyed and majority of the Xen'vi on the island whiped out when the island's supervolcano erupted. The resulting tsunami's also destroyed many of their coastal cities in the surrounding continents and the min ice-age that followed, resulting from the volcano's age, brought a huge downfall in the remainder of the nation's prosperity.

Anyway, their capitol gone, the remaining Aka'vi states were leaderless and basically lost the only thing that was still holding them together. So they finally split into seperate nations, though many of them eventually collasped or were taken over by other nations.

The Valiero'vi are one of the nations that came from the Aka'vi and have been doing the best of those nations. The others were the Svia'vi (though their state suffered the most from the supervolcano's eruption, hence their primitiveness) and the Aari'vi, who formed a very tight allegiance with the Jay'vi soon after they became independant from the Iga'vi.

Two other nations came from the Aka'vi, but have since dissapeared. The was in southern Thera'nal in the vacinity of Vvardenfell, Kij and Fornost. This nation fell due to climate issues, as their land was basically made up of desert and tundra and the iceage caused by the supervolcano meant that they couldn't produce enough food for themseles and succumbed to famine. What remained of them was absorbed into the Col'tun'vi. The second nation covered Gharo'zaghira's Amar'kano subcontinent (south across the Sea of El'jok from the Valiero'vi). This nation was conquered by and assimilated into the Iga'vi's empire.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:16 am

Yeah, you did say that. I forget when.

Well, that certainly is interesting. Perhaps you should throw in some sort of mention of the Aka'vi in the first book?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:35 am

In any case, disregard it completely.

Yeah, I totally should.

Also, I came up with how that ancient nation in Xena's mountains dissapeared. The Shadow moved in, killed them all and built a gigantic fortress in Red Mountain's crator. Bru'gash (the Iga'vi's emporer) probably tried to recreate it on Bara'cûl (no longer "Bara'dur", as I discovered that that name actually entered my subconcious from The Lord of the Rings (Sauron's kilometre-and-a-half high tower with the flaming eye in Mordor is called "Baradûr")).
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:00 am

It has been disregarded.

That's not a very nice thing for the Shadow to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:15 am

Lfmao. Lmao

Oh yeah, I still need to scan in the second age's Xen'vi world map...
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:34 am

Didn't you say you had concept art of some places too? I'd like to see that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 am

And of course I've forgotten about those too. Frown

I'll upload everything tomorrow (we went out tonight, so I don't have the chance to do so now). I'll also upload the letter list.

By the way, my two latest posts on the language thread awaits your attention.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:20 am

Cool.

Onward to the language place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:45 am

Onward.

Back on topic, I think we should start adding flesh to those stories I listed on the previous page. Especially the Yaldin and Hevai story (I changed the name from "Cin'ling" to "Hevai" because the original sounds too Asian for a character that's supposed to have an Elvish vibe).

The story would be inspired by Tolkien's "Berren and Luthien" tale in "The Silmarillion" wherin a human man and an elf woman fell in love and basically saved the world from an evil god person thing. I want Yaldin and Hevai's story to be of simmilar importance, though the storyline itself should obviously be very different.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:52 am

Okay. Who would they be saving the world from?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:56 am

Uh... the Shadow? That's one of the things we need to figure out. And they might not even have saved the world from a particular evil. It may just have been something heroic. Also, I'd like them to effectively have been from two very different backgrounds. And the story would probably have taken place during the first or second age.

(We'll totally have to hide many of these topics if this place becomes bussier. Or we can maybe just add spoiler warnings to most of them.)
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Hmm... Defeating the Shadow would be a pretty majour thing. I doubt two Xen'vi would be able to do that.

Maybe one could be Aka'vi. I dunno.

(True. I don't really think we're going to have a sudden influx of people any time soon though. When the first book is published, maybe.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:13 pm

It would, and they might have done something to help the Jaylen defeat the Shadow. Actualy deafeating it is a whole nother story and not something I wanna attribute to Xen'vi (or even humans, if they were present at the time). It's just something the Jaylen have to do. But they can totally help somehow. I'm just not sure how...

The Aka'vi were mainly a third age thing, though they already existed near the end of the second age. They just weren't as advanced yet. But I guess it could work. Hevai, the woman, could be Aka'vi and Yaldin could maybe be a survivor of the mountain people or a descendant of them (which gives him a pretty good reason to want to end the Shadow). That would be pretty cool, 'cause the one nation is based off the elves while the other is based of the dwarves and, in Tolkien's works, the two hated each other so I could minic that with this.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Mhm, that would be cool. I'm kind of lost with the Jaylen and the Shadow though. I have very little knowledge of them...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Okay, I'll fill you in via PM's to the best of my ability tomorrow after I sleep. (Which means I'm saying good night. Bye. ^^ )
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Goodnight. I'll see if I can go through some more wiki articles today. It's about time I get those over with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:12 am

I sent the PM. Uppon writing it, I realised we can / should probably use that as a framework for the Xen'vi's history, as it's very interconnected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads   

Back to top Go down

Stories and Events of a Time Before the Jawheads
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next